In 1999-2000, Meridian Brick (then Canada Brick) invested $60 million in a new Aldershot Brick Plant. This investment was based on the long-term shale reserves available in the area, including those at the Aldershot Quarry in its West, Centre and East cells.The Aldershot East project, which will open the third cell of the Aldershot quarry, will help sustain this existing investment in Burlington’s economy. This project will support the retention of approximately 70 jobs.
This is a fully licensed quarry and has been so for more than 40 years, though quarrying has taken place here since 1904. Meridian Brick purchased the Aldershot Quarry in 1990. In 2010, a revised Site Plan was approved by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry to meet Provincial standards. The Aldershot Quarry is fully compliant with the Aggregate Resources and Endangered Species Acts and the Greenbelt Plan.
About 38% of the existing shale reserves at the time of the Aldershot brick plant’s opening were located in the East cell of the quarry. Now, 17 years later, the West and Centre cells of the Quarry are almost depleted. Meridian Brick needs to develop Aldershot East to keep the Aldershot brick plant operating.
In 2000, the Tyandaga West subdivision was registered and the houses on Westhaven Drive began to be erected. Prior to the establishment of the subdivision, dust and noise studies were undertaken for the proposed area. These studies were approved by the Ministry of the Environment, and Meridian Brick agreed to implement certain controls recommended to allow for the subdivision to be developed.